Tuesday, July 30, 2013

If you walk a baby around the house...

They will grow up to be just like you. This is a time honored family tradition from my mother's side of the family, the Glasgow clan of McDougal. It works too, and the Glasgows know it.  When I was brought home from the hospital, days old, my aunt was waiting on our front porch to ensure she would be the first to carry me around the outside of the house. This terrified my dad. He grabbed my carseat and ran around our home with me while my aunt shouted profanities at him.  Am I like him? Yep. Couch potato, TV addict, thick horrible eyebrows. My dad has a lot of passion, if he loves something he loves it 150% with his whole heart. Me too. He loves the Cardinals and I love Elvis.

If you are at a Glasgow family gathering and someone asks if your baby has been walked around the house yet, watch out. If you say no the baby is fought over and most likely whoever is holding the baby at the time will dart out the door and make a lap with the babe.

Pretty serious stuff. I can name a few testaments to support our claim of the walk-the-baby-around-the-house voodoo. I can remember clear as day, I was in junior high and my cousin Bentley was debuting his new little girl at a family gathering. Then the question was asked: who will walk her around the house? Of course there was no shortage of volunteers. Bentley was scanning the crowd with his eyes, then he said "Let Courtney do it" WHAT?!?! My little junior high soul knew it was a big deal. I went outside with her and my mom stayed close to make sure I didn't drop Abbi. I was proclaiming that she would be a talker, love to sing, and she would be a cheerleader too. It all came true. She can memorize any movie soundtrack just like me. Big personaity in a little girl, always make you laugh, talk your leg off, sweet Abbi!

 
Good choice, Ben!
 
My aunt Kay is infamous for being brutal about walking babies around the house. She walks your little darling around the house and you will catch that toddler fishing cigarette butts out of the ash tray pretending to smoke, and asking for a drink of beer on the river. That is what happened to her grandaugter Allison. Her poor daddy. :)
 
The list could go on and on. One walker/walkee both married one of their husbands twice, and lived in the same house with the twice over husband years apart. Both young mothers to two boys.  Coincidence? I think not!
 
Who walked my angel Georgia? My Aunt Diane. The sweetest lady I know. You wouldn't be able to find a person on this side of the Missisippi would could say a bad word about her. She's a lot like Josh. I knew for years that I wanted Aunt Diane to walk my first born. But I had to dodge that sneaky Aunt Kay! The day I was induced, Diane was in Fayetteville with her daughter, Charrae helping her move. I sent Charrae a warning text that she better send her mom home to walk Georgia around the house because if Kay beat her to it I was holding Charrae responsible! Diane met me at my house minutes after we arrived home from the hospital with Georgia.
My aunt Diane and Georgia Love the day they took their trip around the house, wearing coordinating black and white animal print outfits. The clothes were unplanned, they are just a couple of kindred walking around the house souls.
 
 When Georgia was refusing a bottle with all her might I asked "Why is she so stubborn?" To which my grandma replied "Oh Diane is the stubbornest kid I got!" Nobody warned me of that! But that is okay, because Georgia will also be the most generous, selfless, do-good-for-others-and-ask-nothing-in-return, crafty, loving woman. Just like our Diane! We will take a little stubborn if that comes with the package.
 
 
 
Even if you aren't a Glasgow and haven't been practicing these tradition for years back, it will still stop your heart when you are asked to walk a new life around the house.  This is Brenda and her great neice Pyper. Her neice and sister are part of the Glasgow tribe asked Brenda to do the honors. She didn't even fully understand the tradition, but she is moved to tears and prays for little Pyper's life while lapping the house. Gives me chills, and it should you too :)
 
The tradition has grown over the years to be practiced by family friends as well. Once you understand the magic, you will want in on it too. If you are ever asked to walk a precious bundle around the house, don't take it lightly.
 
Peace.Love.Glasgows.
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment