Friday, July 19, 2013

Easy DIY Silhouette tutorial

This morning I posted a picture of Georgia on instagram and one of my sweet friends suggested it would make a great silhouette. So it got me in the crafting mood and a couple of hours and one naptime later, I have a sweet little silhouette hanging in my dining room.

Finished product
 
 
First I took a new picture of Georgia, as you couldn't see her nose profile in the original instagram photo.
 
 
 
It was somewhat tricky getting her to NOT look at the camera.  My trick: lay on my side beside her, hold a baby rattle between my toes and shake it out in front of her. Such a glamorous method.
 
 
Print photo in B&W, then trace outline of sweet baby's face with a pencil so that it is easier to cut.
 
 I held it up against a window to see the outline of her face easier while I was tracing.
 
 
Take your time and cut slowly. I decided to cut off her bow she was wearing, you couldn't make out what it was in silhouette form, made her look like she had a growth.
 
 
Scotch tape to a piece of cardstock or scrapbook paper. Be sure to tape with reverse side up.  I traced around the image with a permanent sharpie pen.
 
 
The outline is a little hard to see, but its there! Cut out again, carefully and slowly. This side will be the back of the finished product so that any visible marker lines are hidden.
 
 
I used some fabric I had in my stash (leftover from baby shower table runners) and put it inside an embroidery hoop I had on hand. You can buy these for a couple of dollars at WalMart or Hobby Lobby. Then turned my cut out silhouette right side up and again and scotch taped it to the fabric. I wanted to make sure I was happy with it before I attach it permanently, which I will do with a few dabs of hot glue.
 




 


 
Added a bow to Georgia's head, because it's kinda her trademark you never really see her with out one :) Hung it up and ta-da! Cost was free since I had all my supplies on hand.
 
 
 
Peace.Love.Silhouette.

No comments:

Post a Comment